Southern Miss Baseball Report – May 20, 2013
Overall Record: 28-25; C-USA Record: 15-9 (Tied for regular-season championship with Rice; No. 2 seed in tournament)
Last Week's Results
May 14 – at Southern Miss 10, No. 14 Ole Miss 3 (A.J. Glasshof pitches six shutout innings over nationally ranked Rebels)
May 16 – at Houston 3, Southern Miss* 2 (Andrew Pierce suffers first loss in league game; throws CG 8 innings)
May 17 – at Houston 7, Southern Miss* 5 (Golden Eagles outhit Cougars 14-11; 3 hits from Tim Lynch)
May 18 – Southern Miss 6, at Houston* 5 (Eagles thwart 9th-inning rally; Cody Livingston gets 1st career save)
This Week's Schedule (All Games played at Reckling Park, Rice, Houston, Texas for 2013 C-USA Championship)
May 22 – No. 7 Tulane, 3 pm
May 23 – Off Day
May 24 – No. 6 Houston, 3 pm
May 25 – No. 3 East Carolina, 7 pm
May 26 –Championship game, 1 pm (CBS Sports Network)
Player: Blake Brown_____________ School:_Southern Miss__________________
Supporting Information for Hitter of the Week Nominee: Blake Brown hit safely in all four games this past week, posting a .438 average with three home runs and six RBI. His two-run shot against No. 14 Ole Miss capped a four-run fourth inning as the Golden Eagles jumped out to the lead that they would not relinquish. He also added an RBI single in the contest. He doubled and scored the final USM run in the series opener at Houston. He then added a two-run shot in the middle game of the series. He blasted a line drive homer to left in the seventh in the final game of the series at UH which proved to be the deciding run as the Cougars rallied for two runs in the bottom of the ninth. The Golden Eagles were able to hold on to capture a share of the C-USA regular season title.
* The Golden Eagles won their third C-USA regular season title with their victory in the finale at Houston. Southern Miss also has won the C-USA regular-season titles in 2003 and 2011. It was the second time in the last three years Southern Miss has shared the title with Rice. USM has also captured the 2003 and 2010 C-USA tournament titles.
* This will be the fourth time in its history that the Golden Eagles will be the No. 2 seed in the C-USA postseason tournament. The other years they were the No. 2 seed were 2008, 2010 and 2011.
* The last time the C-USA Tournament was held in the city of Houston, at Cougar Field on the UH campus in 2010, the Golden Eagles captured the championship. It was their last tournament title.
* Senior second baseman Isaac Rodriguez has a 19-game hitting streak heading into the C-USA Tournament, hitting .472 (34x72) with six doubles, a homer and 14 RBI over that span. It is the longest hitting streak for the Golden Eagles this season.
* Since April 12, Dillon Day has seen his average rise 90 points on the strength of an average of .456, 26x57, over the last 21 games (he has played in 19) with six double, a homer and 11 RBI.
* Sophomore Jake Drehoff won his second-straight start in the regular-season finale, allowing three runs on nine hits and a walk with five strikeouts over eight innings against UH.
Southern Miss Shares C-USA Regular Season Title with 6-5 at Houston
HOUSTON – Southern Miss jumped out to an early advantage but had to hold off a ninth-inning Houston rally to defeat the Cougars 6-5 in winning a share of the Conference USA regular-season championship here Saturday afternoon.
The Golden Eagles (28-25 overall, 15-9 in C-USA), which shared the title with Rice for the second time in the last three seasons, will be the No. 2 seed in next week's C-USA Tournament at Reckling Park on the campus of Rice University, beginning Wednesday.
Southern Miss outhit the Cougars 14-11 and got three hits each from Isaac Rodriguez, Bradley Roney and Chase Fowler , while Blake Brown added a couple of hits.
The Golden Eagles built a 5-2 advantage after three innings as Rodriguez started the scoring in the first by belting his second homer of the season, a two-run just inside the leftfield fair pole. After UH tied the score in the bottom of the frame, Southern Miss added a sacrifice fly by Dillon Day and then got a two-run double from Fowler in the third.
The Cougars, which got two hits from five different players, cut the gap with a run in the bottom of the third and did not really threaten again until the ninth.
USM starter Jake Drehoff (4-5) scattered nine hits over eight innings, giving up three runs on one walk and five strikeouts to earn the victory. Drehoff finished his outing by enticing a double play to end the eighth after UH got a couple of hits in the frame.
The Cougars then rallied for two runs in the ninth on Roney, the USM closer, as he allowed four of the first five UH hitters to reach base. Cody Livingston then came on with the bases loaded and already with a run in and gave up what looked to be a shallow single to rightfield to Josh Vidales. Mason Robbins, though, threw a bullet to second to force the runner out for the second of the frame and allowed just one run to score.
Livingston then struckout Kyle Survance to end the game and register his first save of the year.
UH starter Aaron Garza allowed five runs on six hits with a walk and a strikeout to suffer the loss and fall to 5-5.
Brown added his team-high ninth homer in the seventh for the Golden Eagles final run.