UNC's Cobb Residence Hall on fire - WHLT 22 Connecting the Pine Belt

380 residents of UNC's Cobb Residence Hall displaced by fire

Posted: Updated:
Photo courtesy - Carolinas Fire Page/Twitter Photo courtesy - Carolinas Fire Page/Twitter
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -

A total of 380 residents of dorm on the campus of the University of North Carolina are displaced following a fire Tuesday afternoon.

University of North Carolina Public Safety Director Randy Young said an automatic alarm went off between 4:30 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. Responding emergency crews smelled smoke and traced the fire to the attic's insulation and structure in the northwest end of the building.

The fire was extinguished by 6 p.m., Young said.

No one was hurt in the incident.

The building did sustain some structural damage, Young said.

Residence of the dorm should be able to return to their rooms sometime Wednesday except for those living in the northwest wing, the University said in a release. Student Housing met with evacuated students to arrange overnight accommodations.

Fire fighters did not have to cut into the roof but used a hatch near the fire to enter the attic.

Cobb, a large dorm on the main part of campus, was built in 1952 and renovated in 2005. The co-ed dorm is the home to 400 students and located just off of Country Club Road.




  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Autopsy will determine cause of Parrish drowning

    Autopsy will determine cause of Parrish drowning

    Sunday, August 17 2014 9:23 PM EDT2014-08-18 01:23:44 GMT
    The body of a man was found in a backyard swimming in Parrish Sunday evening. The victim has been identified as Jonathan M. Vain, 40, of 5119 119th Terrace East., a Manatee County Sheriff's Office report said. ...
    The body of a man was found in a backyard swimming in Parrish Sunday evening. The victim has been identified as Jonathan M. Vain, 40, of 5119 119th Terrace East., a Manatee County Sheriff's Office report said. ...
  • Forrest General Offering Free Cardiovascular Disease Screening

    Forrest General Offering Free Cardiovascular Disease Screening

    Tuesday, August 12 2014 10:24 AM EDT2014-08-12 14:24:32 GMT
    The following is a press release from Forrest General Hospital.HATTIESBURG, Miss. – Pine Belt residents have an opportunity to receive a free screening for Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) on September 8 and 9 at Forrest General Hospital.Early detection is the key! If you are over age 60 or over age 50 with risk factors such as smoking, diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol, you can qualify for this screening. Dare to C.A.R.E. is a comprehensive cardiovascular disease early detec...
    The following is a press release from Forrest General Hospital.HATTIESBURG, Miss. – Pine Belt residents have an opportunity to receive a free screening for Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) on September 8 and 9 at Forrest General Hospital.Early detection is the key! If you are over age 60 or over age 50 with risk factors such as smoking, diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol, you can qualify for this screening. Dare to C.A.R.E. is a comprehensive cardiovascular disease early detec...
  • Fireman Loses Home To Fire

    Fireman Loses Home To Fire

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 8:47 PM EDT2014-08-20 00:47:41 GMT
    Fireman Loses HomeFireman Loses Home
    SOSO, Miss. - For five years Terrence Pruitt has worked to save homes and families with the Ellisville Fire Department and today it was a different story."When I pulled up, I saw it was a fire in the bedroom and I called 9-1-1...and tried to put it out with the water hose, but I didn't have enough hose to reach around on that side," Pruitt said.Early this morning several fire units responded to a fire at a three bedroom home in Soso. The fire destroyed the house Pruitt called home for 16 year...
    SOSO, Miss. - For five years Terrence Pruitt has worked to save homes and families with the Ellisville Fire Department and today it was a different story."When I pulled up, I saw it was a fire in the bedroom and I called 9-1-1...and tried to put it out with the water hose, but I didn't have enough hose to reach around on that side," Pruitt said.Early this morning several fire units responded to a fire at a three bedroom home in Soso. The fire destroyed the house Pruitt called home for 16 year...
Powered by WorldNow

5912 Hwy. 49, Ste. A
Hattiesburg, MS 39401

Telephone: 601.545.2077
Fax: 601.545.3589
Email: newsroom@whlt.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.