Raleigh's Globetrotter store holds sale as owners retire - WHLT 22 Connecting the Pine Belt

Raleigh's Globetrotter store holds sale as owners retire

Posted: Updated:

A Raleigh store that has been serving travel supplies since 1976 is closing so the owners can retire and, well, travel.

Prices at the store in Raleigh's Cameron Village have been slashed, with the store likely to close at the end of the holiday season. The store includes Hartmann luggage, Vera Bradley bags and other accessories for travelers, like passport wallets and neck pillows.

Cheryl and Jim Fairchild opened Globetrotter at the old North Hills mall in 1976.

"It has been a great ride," Cheryl Fairchild said. "It's been a great run, yeah."

She described the couple as "very green" when it came to business when they opened 37 years ago.

"We didn't have any real idea what would happen," she said. "We liked to travel. In the beginning, we said, ‘Raleigh doesn't have any place to go to get yourself equipped for a trip.' And so that's what we set out to do.

"And as travel changed, we found a lot of different, new things that we could offer to people. One lady came in and she said, ‘What am I going to do when you are gone? I know I am going off on a trip when I go to your store and find what I need, and then I go out to the airport and get my bagel and coffee.'"

The store has become well-known in the area, and is a frequent stop for shoppers looking for items like graduation gifts.

The Globetrotter has attracted big crowds in recent days, with shoppers pouring in as the holiday season approaches.

"It's almost turned out to be a party, almost an alumni gathering," Cheryl Fairchild said. "We've had great response, people coming in and saying how much they  have appreciated us over the years. So it's been very gratifying – very gratifying."

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Autopsy will determine cause of Parrish drowning

    Autopsy will determine cause of Parrish drowning

    Sunday, August 17 2014 9:23 PM EDT2014-08-18 01:23:44 GMT
    The body of a man was found in a backyard swimming in Parrish Sunday evening. The victim has been identified as Jonathan M. Vain, 40, of 5119 119th Terrace East., a Manatee County Sheriff's Office report said. ...
    The body of a man was found in a backyard swimming in Parrish Sunday evening. The victim has been identified as Jonathan M. Vain, 40, of 5119 119th Terrace East., a Manatee County Sheriff's Office report said. ...
  • Forrest General Offering Free Cardiovascular Disease Screening

    Forrest General Offering Free Cardiovascular Disease Screening

    Tuesday, August 12 2014 10:24 AM EDT2014-08-12 14:24:32 GMT
    The following is a press release from Forrest General Hospital.HATTIESBURG, Miss. – Pine Belt residents have an opportunity to receive a free screening for Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) on September 8 and 9 at Forrest General Hospital.Early detection is the key! If you are over age 60 or over age 50 with risk factors such as smoking, diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol, you can qualify for this screening. Dare to C.A.R.E. is a comprehensive cardiovascular disease early detec...
    The following is a press release from Forrest General Hospital.HATTIESBURG, Miss. – Pine Belt residents have an opportunity to receive a free screening for Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) on September 8 and 9 at Forrest General Hospital.Early detection is the key! If you are over age 60 or over age 50 with risk factors such as smoking, diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol, you can qualify for this screening. Dare to C.A.R.E. is a comprehensive cardiovascular disease early detec...
  • Fireman Loses Home To Fire

    Fireman Loses Home To Fire

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 8:47 PM EDT2014-08-20 00:47:41 GMT
    Fireman Loses HomeFireman Loses Home
    SOSO, Miss. - For five years Terrence Pruitt has worked to save homes and families with the Ellisville Fire Department and today it was a different story."When I pulled up, I saw it was a fire in the bedroom and I called 9-1-1...and tried to put it out with the water hose, but I didn't have enough hose to reach around on that side," Pruitt said.Early this morning several fire units responded to a fire at a three bedroom home in Soso. The fire destroyed the house Pruitt called home for 16 year...
    SOSO, Miss. - For five years Terrence Pruitt has worked to save homes and families with the Ellisville Fire Department and today it was a different story."When I pulled up, I saw it was a fire in the bedroom and I called 9-1-1...and tried to put it out with the water hose, but I didn't have enough hose to reach around on that side," Pruitt said.Early this morning several fire units responded to a fire at a three bedroom home in Soso. The fire destroyed the house Pruitt called home for 16 year...
Powered by WorldNow

5912 Hwy. 49, Ste. A
Hattiesburg, MS 39401

Telephone: 601.545.2077
Fax: 601.545.3589
Email: newsroom@whlt.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.