Heater Causes Fire in Waynesboro - WHLT 22 Connecting the Pine Belt

Heater Causes Fire in Waynesboro

Posted: Updated:

WAYNESBORO -- A home suffered significant damage after it went up in flames.

"I saw the smoke from the hospital, and I knew it was gone then," Homeowner Douglas Thompson said.

He rented this home to a family on Turner Road in Waynesboro.

Firefighters responded to a call of the fire just before 7:30 a.m. Wednesday.

When they arrived four minutes later, they found it fully engulfed in flames.

No injuries were reported.

Early investigations suggest a space heater in the living room caught the curtains on fire.

"With these space heaters, you need at least 18 inches of clearance - and whatever the manufacturer recommends in case it's more - but at least 18 inches between the heating source and any combustible material," Waynesboro Fire Chief Willard Crocker said.

He also suggested not leaving a heater on in a room if you aren't going to stay in there.  And if you must keep it on while your away, turn it on low.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Autopsy will determine cause of Parrish drowning

    Autopsy will determine cause of Parrish drowning

    Sunday, August 17 2014 9:23 PM EDT2014-08-18 01:23:44 GMT
    The body of a man was found in a backyard swimming in Parrish Sunday evening. The victim has been identified as Jonathan M. Vain, 40, of 5119 119th Terrace East., a Manatee County Sheriff's Office report said. ...
    The body of a man was found in a backyard swimming in Parrish Sunday evening. The victim has been identified as Jonathan M. Vain, 40, of 5119 119th Terrace East., a Manatee County Sheriff's Office report said. ...
  • Purvis High: 'Restoration Blitz'

    Purvis High: 'Restoration Blitz'

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 12:38 PM EDT2014-08-19 16:38:17 GMT
    Purvis High RecoveryPurvis High Recovery
    PURVIS, Miss. -The Purvis Tornadoes are dealing with an unexpected disaster, with their season opener just four days away, the coaches and players are quickly rebuilding after a fire to its field-house robbed the program of everything."It's tragic because we have so many memories, you know we've been in there since seventh grade and just losing everything is heartbreaking," said Wide Receiver, Cody Slade.On Saturday morning flames took to the Jack R. Craft Athletic Field house at Purvis High ...
    PURVIS, Miss. -The Purvis Tornadoes are dealing with an unexpected disaster, with their season opener just four days away, the coaches and players are quickly rebuilding after a fire to its field-house robbed the program of everything."It's tragic because we have so many memories, you know we've been in there since seventh grade and just losing everything is heartbreaking," said Wide Receiver, Cody Slade.On Saturday morning flames took to the Jack R. Craft Athletic Field house at Purvis High ...
  • Fireman Loses Home To Fire

    Fireman Loses Home To Fire

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 8:47 PM EDT2014-08-20 00:47:41 GMT
    Fireman Loses HomeFireman Loses Home
    SOSO, Miss. - For five years Terrence Pruitt has worked to save homes and families with the Ellisville Fire Department and today it was a different story."When I pulled up, I saw it was a fire in the bedroom and I called 9-1-1...and tried to put it out with the water hose, but I didn't have enough hose to reach around on that side," Pruitt said.Early this morning several fire units responded to a fire at a three bedroom home in Soso. The fire destroyed the house Pruitt called home for 16 year...
    SOSO, Miss. - For five years Terrence Pruitt has worked to save homes and families with the Ellisville Fire Department and today it was a different story."When I pulled up, I saw it was a fire in the bedroom and I called 9-1-1...and tried to put it out with the water hose, but I didn't have enough hose to reach around on that side," Pruitt said.Early this morning several fire units responded to a fire at a three bedroom home in Soso. The fire destroyed the house Pruitt called home for 16 year...
Powered by WorldNow

5912 Hwy. 49, Ste. A
Hattiesburg, MS 39401

Telephone: 601.545.2077
Fax: 601.545.3589
Email: newsroom@whlt.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.