CHAPEL HILL: High school student dies from bacterial infection - WHLT 22 Connecting the Pine Belt

E. Chapel Hill HS student dies from bacterial infection

Posted: Updated:
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -

A student at East Chapel Hill High School died Wednesday of a bacterial infection, the school system said.

School officials say a 14-year-old student died from what is presumed to be Meningococcal disease.

Meningococcal disease is a bacterial infection caused by the same bacteria that can cause Meningitis.

In a letter to parents, the school said the student may have been infectious at school Feb. 11, 12, 17 and 18.

"If a person is infected, symptoms usually start within three to four days of exposure but can take as long as 14 days to begin," the school said.

The Orange County Health Department said the boy presented the first symptoms on Tuesday.

School official say they do not know how the student contracted the infection. The Center for Disease Control says the infection can be passed directly through saliva as well as "prolonged general contact with an infected person."

The school said the spread of meningococcal disease in a classroom setting is rare.

Dr. Chris Ingram works with Raleigh Infectious Diseases off Lake Boone Trail. He said Wake County will see three or four cases a year.

Ingram said vaccines have brought down the number of infections greatly but outbreaks will occur in closely quartered people.

The Chapel Hill-Carrboro School System the principal plans to speak to students tomorrow morning about this and East Chapel Hill High School will have school nurses and counselors available for students on Thursday.

 

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Autopsy will determine cause of Parrish drowning

    Autopsy will determine cause of Parrish drowning

    Sunday, August 17 2014 9:23 PM EDT2014-08-18 01:23:44 GMT
    The body of a man was found in a backyard swimming in Parrish Sunday evening. The victim has been identified as Jonathan M. Vain, 40, of 5119 119th Terrace East., a Manatee County Sheriff's Office report said. ...
    The body of a man was found in a backyard swimming in Parrish Sunday evening. The victim has been identified as Jonathan M. Vain, 40, of 5119 119th Terrace East., a Manatee County Sheriff's Office report said. ...
  • Purvis High: 'Restoration Blitz'

    Purvis High: 'Restoration Blitz'

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 12:38 PM EDT2014-08-19 16:38:17 GMT
    Purvis High RecoveryPurvis High Recovery
    PURVIS, Miss. -The Purvis Tornadoes are dealing with an unexpected disaster, with their season opener just four days away, the coaches and players are quickly rebuilding after a fire to its field-house robbed the program of everything."It's tragic because we have so many memories, you know we've been in there since seventh grade and just losing everything is heartbreaking," said Wide Receiver, Cody Slade.On Saturday morning flames took to the Jack R. Craft Athletic Field house at Purvis High ...
    PURVIS, Miss. -The Purvis Tornadoes are dealing with an unexpected disaster, with their season opener just four days away, the coaches and players are quickly rebuilding after a fire to its field-house robbed the program of everything."It's tragic because we have so many memories, you know we've been in there since seventh grade and just losing everything is heartbreaking," said Wide Receiver, Cody Slade.On Saturday morning flames took to the Jack R. Craft Athletic Field house at Purvis High ...
  • Fireman Loses Home To Fire

    Fireman Loses Home To Fire

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 8:47 PM EDT2014-08-20 00:47:41 GMT
    Fireman Loses HomeFireman Loses Home
    SOSO, Miss. - For five years Terrence Pruitt has worked to save homes and families with the Ellisville Fire Department and today it was a different story."When I pulled up, I saw it was a fire in the bedroom and I called 9-1-1...and tried to put it out with the water hose, but I didn't have enough hose to reach around on that side," Pruitt said.Early this morning several fire units responded to a fire at a three bedroom home in Soso. The fire destroyed the house Pruitt called home for 16 year...
    SOSO, Miss. - For five years Terrence Pruitt has worked to save homes and families with the Ellisville Fire Department and today it was a different story."When I pulled up, I saw it was a fire in the bedroom and I called 9-1-1...and tried to put it out with the water hose, but I didn't have enough hose to reach around on that side," Pruitt said.Early this morning several fire units responded to a fire at a three bedroom home in Soso. The fire destroyed the house Pruitt called home for 16 year...
Powered by WorldNow

5912 Hwy. 49, Ste. A
Hattiesburg, MS 39401

Telephone: 601.545.2077
Fax: 601.545.3589
Email: newsroom@whlt.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.