Crews work Monday to get the power back on after storms - WHLT 22 Connecting the Pine Belt

Crews work Monday to get the power back on after storms

Posted: Updated:
Crews work to repair a power line. Crews work to repair a power line.
RALEIGH, N.C. -

Thousands of North Carolinians are still without electricity after last week's winter storm.

Duke Energy reported Monday morning that more than 81,000 customers were without service.

The biggest problems are in Guilford County, where more than 33,000 customers are without service. About 25,000 customers are without service in Alamance County.

As of Monday morning, Orange County had more than 3,300 Duke Energy customers without power. Durham and Person counties combined had a little more than 400 customers without power.

About 12,000 customers of North Carolina electric cooperatives were without power Sunday--but many had reported the power had come back on.

Monday, Duke crews were seen in large numbers in the Orange County community of Hillsborough. As tree cutting crews cleared downed trees, the power crews then got to work, telling homeowners they could see power back on in many areas by Monday night.

The company homes to have service restored as a whole, by Wednesday night.

RELATED STORIES

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • 16-year-old girl stabs another 65 times after nude photos posted on Facebook

    16-year-old girl stabs another 65 times after nude photos posted on Facebook

    Wednesday, April 2 2014 3:29 PM EDT2014-04-02 19:29:36 GMT
    A 16-year-old girl is accused of fatally stabbing her teen ‘best friend' in an attack spurred by nude photos of the pair together posted on social media, according to several media sources.  Anel Baez,
    A 16-year-old girl is accused of fatally stabbing her teen ‘best friend' in an attack spurred by nude photos of the pair together posted on social media, according to several media sources.  Anel Baez,
  • Biloxi bomb squad disassembles IED

    Biloxi bomb squad disassembles IED

    Authorities say an improvised explosive device found under a vehicle in Vancleave has been disassembled by the Biloxi bomb squad.
    Authorities say an improvised explosive device found under a vehicle in Vancleave has been disassembled by the Biloxi bomb squad.
  • Motorcycle club altercation leaves 2 dead, 2 injured

    Motorcycle club altercation leaves 2 dead, 2 injured

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:11 AM EDT2014-09-02 11:11:25 GMT
    Two victims were shot in the chest and died. Two other people had non-life-threatening injuries and are expected to survive, said police.
    Two victims were shot in the chest and died. Two other people had non-life-threatening injuries and are expected to survive, said police.
Powered by WorldNow

5912 Hwy. 49, Ste. A
Hattiesburg, MS 39401

Telephone: 601.545.2077
Fax: 601.545.3589
Email: newsroom@whlt.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.