William Carey Men's Soccer Team Avoids Tsunami Scare in Chile - WHLT 22 Connecting the Pine Belt

William Carey Men's Soccer Team Avoids Tsunami Scare in Chile

Posted: Updated:

On Monday the Crusaders embarked on a mission of good will that was bound to be full of surprises.

But what happened about 24 hours later was a near-tragedy that no one could have expected.

"Well the scary part was one, not knowing if it was coming," says WCU Executive Vice President and Provost Dr. Scott Hummel.

"I guess the big news is that there was a potential tsunami coming into Antofagasta," says WCU head men's soccer coach Nigel Boulton.

On Tuesday at roughly 6:45 p.m. CST, an earthquake 61 miles northwest of Iquique registered an 8.0 on the Richter Magnitude Scale.

250 miles south of Iquique, Antofagasta city officials ordered a mandatory evacuation to high ground.

But the looming potential of a tsunami was not even the biggest threat.

"The scarier part was not knowing where all of the students were," says Hummel.

"Players were all with their own individual families by that time - whoever they were staying with - so obviously I had trust in them and trust in the Lord that everything would be okay," says Boulton.

"Even though I knew they were in good, capable hands with the families, I know I would've felt better if I had my eyes on all of them," says Hummel.

If the administration was worried for the players, just imagine the thoughts running through the minds of those back in the States.

Athletic Director Steve Knight stayed behind in Hattiesburg, uncomfortably waiting for the good news to arrive.

"Someone text me and told me there had been an earthquake," says Knight. "I just responded, 'Oh my. Let me know if you hear anything.' We tried to gather information and get a hold of some folks. Texts came through that everyone was okay."

With an eventful first day now in the rearview mirror, the team returns its focus back to soccer.

This afternoon the Saders scrimmaged with the Antofagasta professional team, bringing a sense of normalcy back to the mission trip.

"We managed to avoid that - high ground, there was no actual tsunami that reached us," says Boulton. "We had a little bit of a late night, but we're up and it's another day and we're moving on and we're playing soccer so that's great."

---

For more on William Carey's mission trip, click here:  http://www.whlt.com/story/25123420/william-carey-soccer-takes-mission-trip-to-chile

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Swarm of 100+ sharks gets rare red-flag warning at beach

    Swarm of 100+ sharks gets rare red-flag warning at beach

    Monday, June 9 2014 5:05 PM EDT2014-06-09 21:05:13 GMT
    Double red flags are still posted in the area near Alabama Point at Orange Beach for the second day -- alerting people to avoid swimming due to a high volume of sharks in the area.The City of Orange Beach posted the warning after a dangerously high number of sharks in the area.
    Double red flags are still posted in the area near Alabama Point at Orange Beach for the second day -- alerting people to avoid swimming due to a high volume of sharks in the area.The City of Orange Beach posted the warning after a dangerously high number of sharks in the area.
  • USM Releases Statement on Defensive Back Ed Wilkins

    USM Releases Statement on Defensive Back Ed Wilkins

    Friday, July 25 2014 2:49 PM EDT2014-07-25 18:49:17 GMT
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE July 25, 2014 Statement Regarding Southern Miss Football Player Ed Wilkins HATTIESBURG, Miss. – The Southern Miss Department of Athletics is aware of the incident regarding football player Ed Wilkins last evening. Wilkins has been placed on indefinite suspension and will not participate in any team activities during this time. “This is a serious matter,” said Southern Miss coach Todd Monken. ”Ed has been removed from the program while we gather additional information.”...
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE July 25, 2014 Statement Regarding Southern Miss Football Player Ed Wilkins HATTIESBURG, Miss. – The Southern Miss Department of Athletics is aware of the incident regarding football player Ed Wilkins last evening. Wilkins has been placed on indefinite suspension and will not participate in any team activities during this time. “This is a serious matter,” said Southern Miss coach Todd Monken. ”Ed has been removed from the program while we gather additional information.”...
  • 16-year-old girl stabs another 65 times after nude photos posted on Facebook

    16-year-old girl stabs another 65 times after nude photos posted on Facebook

    Wednesday, April 2 2014 3:29 PM EDT2014-04-02 19:29:36 GMT
    A 16-year-old girl is accused of fatally stabbing her teen ‘best friend' in an attack spurred by nude photos of the pair together posted on social media, according to several media sources.  Anel Baez,
    A 16-year-old girl is accused of fatally stabbing her teen ‘best friend' in an attack spurred by nude photos of the pair together posted on social media, according to several media sources.  Anel Baez,
Powered by WorldNow

5912 Hwy. 49, Ste. A
Hattiesburg, MS 39401

Telephone: 601.545.2077
Fax: 601.545.3589
Email: newsroom@whlt.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.