BELHAVEN: 2 homes destroyed, more damaged by NC storm - WHLT 22 Connecting the Pine Belt

2 homes destroyed, more damaged by NC storm

Posted: Updated:
Emergency officials say a tornado with a debris field was reported on the ground for about five to eight minutes just north of Belhaven. Emergency officials say a tornado with a debris field was reported on the ground for about five to eight minutes just north of Belhaven.
BELHAVEN, N.C. -

Three people, including a woman who is eight months pregnant, are still in the hospital following an apparent tornado in rural Beaufort County.

Beaufort County Emergency Management Director John Pack said Tuesday morning that no one suffered serious injuries from the storm that destroyed two houses and significantly damaged six other homes on Monday afternoon.

The National Weather Service says video of the storm indicates a tornado touched down near Belhaven. Weather Service officials planned to visit the area Tuesday to try and confirm the tornado strike and its path, length and force.

The woman and her family live in one of the houses that were destroyed, Pack said. They were saved because her husband saw the approaching storm and got them all out of the house, running to a nearby ditch for safety.

The woman was taken to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville because she had equipment in her home that was monitoring her pregnancy. Pack said the woman is all right but will remain in the hospital until new equipment can be installed.

A total of five people suffered injuries during the storm. The Red Cross has been providing aid to those displaced by the storm and Pack said that all of the people whose homes were damaged or destroyed are with friends and family.

Power had been restored by 10 p.m. Monday to all customers but that power crews remain in the area to continue working on the power lines, Pack said.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Jackson police find car connected to missing teen

    Jackson police find car connected to missing teen

    Jackson police say they have found a car that authorities believe was used in the possible kidnapping of 17-year-old girl.
    Jackson police say they have found a car that authorities believe was used in the possible kidnapping of 17-year-old girl.
  • Col. Holden, first black to lead NC Patrol, dies

    Col. Holden, first black to lead NC Patrol, dies

    Friday, August 22 2014 6:07 PM EDT2014-08-22 22:07:34 GMT
    Col. Richard Holden of Cary, the first African-American to lead the North Carolina Highway Patrol, died Thursday.
    Col. Richard Holden of Cary, the first African-American to lead the North Carolina Highway Patrol, died Thursday.
  • 16-year-old girl stabs another 65 times after nude photos posted on Facebook

    16-year-old girl stabs another 65 times after nude photos posted on Facebook

    Wednesday, April 2 2014 3:29 PM EDT2014-04-02 19:29:36 GMT
    A 16-year-old girl is accused of fatally stabbing her teen ‘best friend' in an attack spurred by nude photos of the pair together posted on social media, according to several media sources.  Anel Baez,
    A 16-year-old girl is accused of fatally stabbing her teen ‘best friend' in an attack spurred by nude photos of the pair together posted on social media, according to several media sources.  Anel Baez,
Powered by WorldNow

5912 Hwy. 49, Ste. A
Hattiesburg, MS 39401

Telephone: 601.545.2077
Fax: 601.545.3589
Email: newsroom@whlt.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.